Sunday, January 15, 2023

My story with alcohol

 is an article I read lately on The Guardian.

Last orders: how we fell out of love with alcohol

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jan/15/last-orders-how-we-fell-out-of-love-with-alcohol

It is a remarkably interesting piece; it informs that alcohol consumption is on a downward slope in young people. Then it argues if it is a good thing, medically, and then explores the link between creativity and alcohol. Read it, it is worth it.

I immediately though 'but I love wine, Ouzo, single malt, Irish coffee, the Austrian Maria Theresa coffee or Fiaker, Limocello,....' Then it hit me. In the article alcohol is equated with being drunk, or excessive drinking, or alcoholism. As usual we try to see things in white and black. It is either good or bad. In fact, moderation in everything would be an acceptable solution.

Sounds boring wisdom that old people would say. Wait, I am old!

Before 21, I was what you could call a drinker. Maybe, not really. Growing up in the roving sixties and seventies, to be cool and liberated, especially for a woman, necessitate to be a drinker and smoker. I was the best at everything (wink). At university, I drank many guys under the table. Impressive, no?

Honestly, I never liked being drunk or losing control. I still do not and stay away from even pain medications. It's quasi paranoia. The fear of not being in control of my life, my actions. 

I could enjoy flirting, dancing, hearing music, and sex more when I was sober. So, I made a lot of hoopla to look good, but I did not get drunk often. Don't tell anybody (wink) it would ruin my reputation of having been a party girl which I was, but in full control of my senses.

Then, when I stopped needing to put a Maske, I became what you can call a social drinker. 

social drinker
noun
  1. a person who drinks alcohol chiefly on social occasions and only in moderate quantities.

My pallet appreciates the warm bouquet of a good wine, I love the smell and taste of Ouzo in summer, I appreciate alcoholic coffees in winter and love the tangy taste of bitter or sour liqueurs. And to be honest, sometimes I like the fizzy feeling of being a bit tipsy. Never a lot. So why stop drinking?

I am definitely an epicurean. 

 Cheers! Prost! Sante! Salud! Felicidades! ваше здоровье! Saluti! and so many more!





No comments:

Post a Comment