Thursday, October 10, 2013

Refugee is not my identity, I am a woman facing joy and sorrow


One minute documentary trailer, worth seeing!
Syrian woman refugee testimonial in their own words


To my knowledge, refugees are not economic asylum seekers, they are people who seek refuge.
Refuge means
1. Protection or shelter, as from danger or hardship.
2. A place providing protection or shelter
3. A source of help, relief, or comfort in times of trouble

I am a woman who lived  in a conflict region and in peaceful countries. Today I can move across borders with ease. I have multiple forms of proof of identity.
I know ’seeking refuge is a human right’ as a legal concept, but cannot begin to fathom what it feels like to seek asylum. I have experienced persecution, witnessed the massacre of  friends and feared for my life. I am a Lebanese who lived the 1975 Civil War and lived a full and beautiful life.

I am one of a million Lebanese who share a common past in a country where conflict never stops.
I cannot understand how many of these one million cannot feel empathy with their fellow Syrian refugees.
I cannot understand how many of those who suffered the Lebanese civil war and now use the plight of refugees as weapon in their populist speech.






No comments:

Post a Comment