Saturday, December 24, 2022

Just say 'Merry Christmas'



I just love Christmas. 
I hate the polarization and discussions of whether it is politically correct to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. 
Why complicate life? Some things are just to enjoy. Being inclusive means, no baggage, just children laughing, magic, and dreams.

I just love Christmas time! Families get together, children laugh and are happy, there is magic in the air, and we all want to believe in Santa. In addition, it is Peace on earth which is nice in the crazy violent times of today. Lately with all the polarization over religious identities versus country or culture, Christmas has lost some of its universal attraction.
It should not!

Lebanon, my country of origin, is a country that for long suffered from sectarian political power struggle yet is still a country where Christmas unites its people in celebration, independent of their religion or creed.
I come from a Muslim Arab background. During my childhood, every year I waited for Christmas time impatiently and with expectation. Santa came to my grandfather's house to distribute presents to tens of grandchildren. At home we had a Christmas tree. I remember a year when I had a nativity scene at home; I was ten years old and envied the nativity scene at a friend's house; my parents fulfilled my dream.

This year, I will be sitting with my loved ones around a tree on Christmas eve sharing presents, waiting for a delicious dinner. I have spent most of this month trying to think of the best present I will get for each of my loved ones. I changed my notebook wallpaper to show the Christmas spirit. I am intending to spend a Merry Christmas and I want people to wish me a Merry Christmas!

In my European country of adoption, I couldn't except notice that kindergarten staff tried hard to be politically correct having the children sing for Jewish Hanuka, Hindous Diwali, and Muslims Eid.
They even replaced in the play the three wise men with wise men and women! I strongly appreciate it.
Yet, they made a big mistake when they said Jews celebrate Hanuka, Hindous Diwali, Muslims Eid, and Christians Christmas. By saying that only Christians celebrate Christmas segregates between children and forces a religious identity on them. It discriminates against atheists and those who, like me, celebrate all holidays.

Christmas is not only a religious event.
I love to celebrate Christmas, Easter, Fitr, Adha, and any other occasion that includes children laughter, tasty food, and fun!

Let's stop segregating people by the holidays they celebrate and leave the children and all of us enjoy our Christmas time!

Merry Christmas



No comments:

Post a Comment