Friday, April 24, 2020

Daily life under lock-down in Lebanon

I though that the best way to convey the feel of the country is by publishing threads of emails and messages that I asked some Lebanese friends to share with me some of their correspondence.

Yesterday Tripoli was witnessing an unreal scene of violence. 
On the night of April 27, hundreds of protesters, in defiance of the Covid-19 lockdown, gathered in Tripoli’s Nour Square to protest the rapidly deteriorating standards of living during Lebanon’s economic crisis. Dozens of protesters torched and otherwise damaged banks, set an army vehicle on fire, and threw stones and fireworks at the soldiers. The soldiers fired live ammunition, rubber bullets, and teargas at protesters.
Received today an email that touched my soul. Am sharing it here. 
28 April 2020
I do not know if I can take on more pressure and tension. I have been living under uncertainty and fear since October 2019 when Lebanon protests started, and then came the corona mess, and now the country is exploding in anger. Irrational anger against the banks. Seems that people are targeting what they see in front of them. The problem is that now the President has succeeded in drawing the army into the conflict putting it to face the anger of the people. My levels of stress is escalating. I try to keep it together, but how can one add the stress of corona to the stress to looking at an uncertain future, losing everything, and no hope for improvement. I am reaching desperation.... 

23 April 2020
The lock-down is getting to everybody!
Yesterday, finished work at 7 pm was late due to various interruptions on Skype, barely poured by drink when my brother Zoomed... He got the sister and one of the cousins - by the time we finished (2 sessions) I was out.
This morning, I was planning to start on work - this got interrupted by "Microsoft Teams meeting...", this lead me to deal with several monkey issues.. This is becoming endless... PUFFFfffffffff....
Can't people go and find something else to do with their time????
Now will finish other mundane issues to clear me mind to focus on the task.
Yalla Kisses and sorry for venting...
Will try to catch you this evening for sure... 
Answer:  Try to do like me, mute Skype and WhatsApp. I just keep hangouts on as only used by my close friends and family, but then they rarely call :)
Replied:  You are right, too much noise coming through all those applications...
Oh, not to mention the phones (mobile & landline)... I miss our old number pre area code era... LOL it rarely worked. Love it.
Yalla back to work (akeed after doing the laundry...)
22 April 2020
I finally lost hope in Lebanon. The comments and declarations I am hearing from the ''thawra'' or Lebanon Protest, whoever they are and if they really represent all the people who took to the street, are childish and along the same lines as Lebanese arrogance ''I am right, I want to talk, I do not want to hear or analyse''.
Also the continuous nagging and protesting, even the new measures that will solve the purchase power of citizens is being criticized, all they want is a dolarised economy. ''We want everything and we do not care if it is possible or not!''
Most of what I hear are just cliches and statements that they consider as Bible or Koran, even if they have no base in reality and do not pass checks and balance.
Ahhh, I should stop hearing the Lebanese!
No hope for this country! We are a stupid, arrogant, ignorant, narcissist bunch of people!
Sorry 😊 I need to vent! 
20 April 2020
Seems that we are doomed to live our lives in this region in vagueness without ever having any clarity... I am not optimistic. The choice you took to live in civilized lands was the correct one.
Now on a positive note, Beirut is still calm, quite, clean, with very little pollution...
Answered:  See, there is a good side, less pollution and noise pollution! 😜
My dear friend, long ago I moved to a more developed world that is closer to the Lebanon I grew up in. And was lucky to chose one of the best countries in the world of sanity. Yet, even though I saw Lebanon gradually eroding to become a country I barely recognize; I remained perched between two worlds with so many emotional and material connection to Lebanon. I quote: Beirut is a curse, you can't live in it, and you cannot live without it!
Replied:  Indeed good philosophy, we cannot contest, as it's true. I wonder when it will become totally unrecognizable. I do not dare think more and will only enjoy the calm and nice air quality. Once lock-down lifts, will loose those.  I do not think that people learned something from the lock-down, like the positive effect on the environment... Alas, habits do not change quickly...
10 April 2020
I hate myself! I order a big four cheeses pizza this evening!
I cannot forgive myself.
Mea culpa!
Answer:  But of course! What do you expect to happen???
I decided to fry an egg now!
This lockdown business in good for the food industry! Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................... I wonder! Conspiracy!
18 April 2020
Lovely evening.
Lovely email... Sounded like you had a lovely and very enjoyable day... Add productive to that on the personal level...
From my side, also did not work today. Went to he mountains and saw the in-laws (they are fine) a bit on the lonely side though. Frustrating for them to be alone for Easter. As you said, que sera sera... We have lovely warm weather, sat in the sun for 10 minutes...
Then came back, Zoomed with friends.
At 6:45 pm had to run down and walk the dog upon his request, although he has been roaming freely in the big garden and terraces around the village house. Amazing these little walking poop production factories...
There was a bit of movement today in Beirut and along the road to mountains. Also some movement up there - maybe prior to Easter Sunday! When I was walking now, just before the curfew at 7 - amazing how the roads emptied up so sudden... The city is so silent and tranquil - love it... Only sound audible now is coming from the church down the street... A mix of tolling bells and prayer over the loud speakers! At least it is not very invasive or intrusive... LOL...
16 April 2020
So sad for Lebanon ... and so angry at the media stupidly uttering about success in facing Covid-19! Just read the the city of Vienna (1.5 million inhabitants, just like Beirut) is providing 5,000 laptops to young pupils who currently have to follow classes from home but might not have suitable devices. All they did in Beirut was to 'as they say' increase band width!
Answer:  What facing of Covid? We stuck our heads in the sand - stayed at home in lock-down! Meanwhile, a good chunk of people situation worsening by the day.. We only see what suits us; the ''Switzerland of the Orient'' image! 
13 April 2020
Good morning...
We forget and do not learn....
Love the German reopening plan you posted ...
I wonder what will happen on this side and how they will do it!?
Now I wonder how we will adapt when we go back to "normal work" - need to consult my therapist.... Will keep you posited.
12 April 2020
I have to confess my sins of the day;
I took a very politically incorrect ride today, and did all the areas that start with "B" just like "Beirut".  In this run, I exchanged some Bollars in Barbir at 2,700/1, also bought 1Bg of fancy B(s)udanes Beanuts....
Oh - I might add that I might be adding some Bgs... 
31 March 2020
God, how many stupidity I hear by so called experts! They mix dictatorship vs capitalism, then talk about the death of globalization as if coronavirus the end of globalization while in fact it is the proof that no country can isolate itself. Then they boast that Lebanon is doing better than Europe taking Italy as an example as to death rate neglecting Germany, Austria and many others. Also neglecting that in Lebanon 5000 test done vs about 60,000 in Austria which would translate in 30,000 test if we calculate according to population. This not mentioning the fact that in Europe, nobody will die of hunger because he is not working! They forget the human factor and economic measures when boasting about how Lebanon handling of coronavirus!
Answer:  You are making a big mistake!
The problem, is that you are "listening" to these so called experts!
End of argument and I rest my case... 
Another reply on reply:  *Those so called experts.... (correction of previous email grammatical error).  Oh and we are immune to everything -- seems that you forgot this important fact!!! Shame  on you... 





No comments:

Post a Comment