Saturday, September 14, 2019

She told me: I landed in Beirut

And what a shock!

After two months away in one of Europe's best quality life cities, it is a real shock!
Started on the plane. Noise and people talking at loud voice, then the moment the plane landed and way before the seat belt sign off, a real stampede. But before that, a bad smell seeping into the plane.

The airport was not too bad as to speed of processing and bag arriving quickly. But then, maybe because it is low season. Will have to wait and see.
The temperature according to the captain on the plane was 26 degrees, so was hoping for nice weather. What a mistake! Humidity so high that you feel like suffocating, or is it the pollution, I do not know.

The trip from the airport to home quite intriguing. At 11 pm the city is buzzing with life and full of lights. I wonder, why don't the government privatize electricity, it already is. Lebanese are ingenuous and managed to have alternate sources as the public electricity service is failing, but at what cost; generators churning pollution into the air!

In bed reading trying to settle for a night sleep, could not block the noise of people laughing and talking loudly though all my windows are closed. There is a definite buzz in the air that never stops.
This morning woke up to an electricity cut....

Looking forward to a breakfast of Mankoushe or maybe foul (fava beans), nothing can top Lebanese food!
Oh yes, I forgot my internet experience.
Connecting to my accounts, one must get used to click and wait until one is connected, as to updates, don't even mention, expect long long delays. The browsing experience in Lebanon teaches you patience.

Anyway, Beirut is a lively city that one might would enjoy visiting as a tourist, but for living, quality of life is not an option I would choose.

So yeah, a shock, but am not complaining, I will try to enjoy the food and the buzz keeping in my mind that I have the option to leave for a break when it becomes unbearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment